List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Editing Text Problem
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-05-27 8:49:38

Gary Westecott wrote:

> When I try yo insert a word in a line, instead of inserting the word
> between exisiting words, as I type a character, it replaces a
> character already typed.
>
> How can I insert a word, leaving everything in place?

You have "Replace" instead of "Insert" mode turned on.  Press the
"Insert" key to toggle back and forth between these two modes.
Sometimes you will want to do one and sometimes the other.

My preferred working style: Use insert in all cases.  Mark words,
sentences or whatever and then type to replace the marked item (with or
without spaces included -- the choice is yours).  I would suggest
reading the Help files on selecting text as the ability to change a
selection is very helpful and intuitive but not obvious if you didn't
stumble across it by accident.

--
Robert Black Eagle