List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Re: Annonying setting
From:       "Alexander S. Koning" <skoning () ch ! its ! tudelft ! nl>
Date:       2004-01-10 21:03:15

Quoting Throwaway on Re: [users] Re: Annonying setting (Saturday 10 January
2004 21:03):

> They annoy me because they change text that is already formatted the way
> I want it, such as font face, size, color etc.
> I don't generally do large complicated documents, but when I do I
> require formatting that is already applied to stay the way I put it.
> What I sometimes do is: make a document with formatting the way I want
> it, then make a copy and change all the text to default and *then* try
> applying Styles to the copy - they *rarely* turn out as acceptable -
> especially when the Styles use *their* default font, size and color. Yes
> they can be changed afterward, but... _Why bother?_ - that would be
> making extra work.

I know those cases. I have used styles with varying success in such documents.
What might be useful (at least it is to me sometimes) is the "New style from
selection" button. Select some piece of text with a given format and create a
style based on that selection. Then you can easily apply that style to other
text parts needing the same format.

> I don't use the same formatting for everything I do, so *creating* a
> Style for my needs would be mostly useless (unless it was for a book or
> something humongous.)
>
> As I said, "Styles *can* be a good thing, but not for the way *I* work."

Oh, that was already clear to me. That was why I asked about why you was
annoyed. I was curious about what you were doing that you could not / did not
want to use styles.

> I would like to see a way to turn them on and off, but I doubt that a
> RFE would get many votes, because most people seem to like Styles.
>   I hope this has helped to satisfy your curiosity.

Absolutely. Thanks for explaining.

> Have a good one ...I do,
> DocTa

Cheers,

Sander

--
Alexander S. Koning  |  Delft, The Netherlands  |  Linux Counter # 274892