List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: importing tab/space delimited files into calc
From:       Bruce Bowler <bbowler () bigelow ! org>
Date:       2003-12-11 13:09:25

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:58:29 -0800, Michael A Chase put fingers to
keyboard and said:

> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:46:06 -0500, Bruce Bowler wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 11:15:34 +0500, Bill McKelvie put fingers to
>> keyboard and said:
>>
>>> File -> Open -> Files of Type: "Text CSV (*.csv, *.txt)"  (about 1/2
>>> way down the list) ->Open (after choosing your file of course).  You
>>> should get a Text Import dialogue. The file name still seems to need a
>>> .csv or .txt extension.  If your file doesn't then I'm stuck.
>>
>> Thanks for the above, you're right it works fine if the file is .csv or
>> .txt.  My problem is that it's neither of those and for various reasons,
>> I can't rename it (well I could, but then I'd have to rename it back for
>> processing by another program, for which we don't have source and
>> expects a certain file extension.)
>
> The file type selection does include a filter for file extensions, but you
> should be able to override it by typing "*.xxx" (without the quotes) in
> the File Name field.  I just loaded a file, name.txx, into a spreadsheet.

Yep, you're right, it works, but IM(NS)HO it's stupid.  It (OOo) shouldn't
"switch apps" based on file type.

I guess it's time to visit issuezilla or bugzilla or whatever OOo uses...

Bruce

--
Bruce Bowler        | I was so unpopular as a kid, Dale Carnegie once hit