List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Saving a Word document file into Open office file
From:       Derick Centeno <aguila () macol ! net>
Date:       2003-11-29 22:23:31

Kesavaprakash R wrote:

>Dear Sir
>
>I would like to know how to convert a MS word document file to open
>office.org.1.1.0.
>
>We are process of setting up Open office.I am not able to save a MS Word
>file into open office with same properties.
>
>For eg: One of my MS word document files containing two pages of which first
>page is potrait and the second page is landscape...If I open this file in
>openoffice, the open office file contains 3 pages, I acnnot visualize the
>second file...If I see that in print preview, I am getting the second page
>as Blank page and 3 pages for print...
>
>So please help me to giude me to avoid this confusion...
>
>Regards
>Kesav

When you open any Word file ending in .doc OpenOffice (OO) recognizes
that this is a word file and allows it to be viewed and not edited.  If
you don't like the formatting or something else and wish to change that
file within OO, then use an icon which appears above which invokes the
command to Edit File, it is found next to the New File icon although if
one looks too quickly  that icon can be confused for a Word file icon.
 Anyway click upon the Edit file icon and a copy of the file you
initially opened will appear for editing within OO.  There you can make
all the changes or improvements you wish.  Understand however, that some
of the features you are interested in or have been used to using in Word
may not yet be available in OO or stranger still the feature may be
implemented within OO but under a different name or category, in other
words you may have to spend quite a bit of time learning the various
components of OO to match whatever you were doing in Word.  Given enough
time, the effort may be worth it; that "worth" depends upon who is
paying for your time and what they want done.

In closing remember to save the edited file as an OO file using the .sxw
extension.  That is, select the correct Save As, pop-up option which
appears under the file name.

Good Luck...