List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Rollout in school with Samba server, roaming profiles
From:       CPH <CPHennessy () openoffice ! org>
Date:       2003-10-31 16:53:27

On Friday 31 October 2003 16:49, Dave Burch wrote:
> Dear OOo community,
>
> I'm preparing to roll out Open Office 1.1 in a school. A characteristic of
> a school setting is that everyone moves around through the day. All the PCs
> are shared; roaming profiles and Windows 98 system policies will be applied
> by a Samba 2.2.8 server.
>
> From my reading on OOo and the Users list, I think the OOo configuration
> needed is to do a network server installation on each workstation, then do
> a workstation installation once for each user with the files going into his
> Samba share. Yes/no???
Yes, I think.

> If this is the case, I have a few questions:
>
> 1. If user Jane's workstation installation is performed on PC 101
> (installing to her Samba share, remember), and Jane later logs in at PC
> 102, will she be connecting to the server on 102? It would seem logical
> that the client would first look for a server on localhost, then if nothing
> is found there, scan the network for an available server, without regard to
> the server under which that client was originally installed. Correct?
Sorry, its not so clear what your network looks like, so I do not understand
"server" in this context.

> 2. With no Samba server running, I find that a test user (me) must go
> through the workstation installation prompts each time he signs on to a PC
> for the first time. This is a problem, because I would not expect to get
> all students and staff to know or care how to properly answer the prompts,
> especially if they must do it repeatedly. I think the solution above will
> allow the admin (me) to install each user once, saving the user from having
> to repeat his workstation installation on each new PC. Correct?
The following doc explains how to make response file so that users have to
enter nothing : http://support.openoffice.org/faq/ar01s04.html#id2815342

In general I think that if you install OOo on each machine with a "-net" in
exactly the same path, then you should have no problem. However I've never
done this myself, so I can't be sure.

Also, assuming that you will be successful, would you mind keeping a diary of
this and writing up an article/HOWTO for others ?

Regards,
CPH