List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Handling master documents, exporting to pdf, ++
From:       Alf Haakon Lund <allun () student ! nlh ! no>
Date:       2003-10-31 14:16:04

Dear 3o (triple o) users,

I have a distressing problem:

I am putting together a 16-page newsletter for my local LETS. Mainly this
document contains ads; wanted and offered, but also some news items. The
original work was started in M$ word 2000. I use the English version of
1.1, but all text is in Norwegian.

Because formatting is very different on the cover pages, I decided to
divide the document into 3 parts: Front page, last page, body. The body
(14 pages) is roughly formatted like this:

|---------------|
| section name  |  (header with inserted field - chapter name)
|    WANTED     |  (cross-column heading)
|item 1 | item 4|  (ads in 2 columms)
|item 2 | item 5|
|item 3 | item 6|
|    OFFERED    |  (new cross-column heading)
|item 1 | item 4|
|item 2 | item 5|
|item 3 | item 6|
|  page number  |  (footer with page number)
|---------------|

This has proven very difficult to achieve, in M$ word as well as in 3o.
When working with 1.0.3 I used sections to great satisfaction. After
upgrading to 1.1 (running win98 se) the insert sections option is for some
reason not availiable. Hopefully this is just due to some installation
error.

After several hours of tweaking I managed to create the front page, body
and last page as desired. There's some frames and a few small graphics.
Then I exported to pdf to put the files together as a whole and publish to
our site. Acrobat refused to merge the documents stating that they
contained subset fonts with identical names.

To solve this problem I made sure to overwrite the styles in the cover
pages with the styles of the body document - to no avail.

Then I thought I might try to pull the things together in a master
document before the pdf export.

So, creating a master document, loading styles from the body. Inserting
body via the Navigator. Body is now only 13 pages with messed up layout.
Temperature's rising, frustration near at hand... Do I have to repeat all
my layout tweaking in the master document?

Inserting the cover pages bring about the same headaches - distorted
layout, missing contents. I'm stuck.

Any general ideas? Anyone want to look at the files?

Many thanks in advance for your input!

Alf Lund