List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    11th hour mail merge frustrations
From:       Eron Lloyd <elloyd () lancaster ! lib ! pa ! us>
Date:       2003-10-29 4:37:02

Glad this day is over...

This evening I was trying to generate mailing labels using database tables.
Everything was going OK until I tried to start using hidden text/paragraphs
to beautify my labels. I still can't figure out how, for instance, to skip a
records middle_name column if it is empty. Writer seems to generate it
regardless if I use middle_name == "" or middle_name != "". Also, when I
finally was able to at least generate all the files and combine them as one,
I tried to export it as a PDF and the result skipped a hidden paragraph that
correctly showed for several of the records while in Writer. Are there a
bunch of issues with the Mail Merge? I see the potential and can feel the
power, but just can't get it right for some reason. Perhaps we'll see a more
intelligent & robust "Smart Tags" equivalent in OOo Q.

Night all,

Eron

---