List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Open Office
From:       Benjamin Long <bflong () longbros ! com>
Date:       2003-10-22 16:31:45

Perhaps it would be a cool thing if someone at oo.o set up a service that used
openoffice to convert files that are emailed to it? For instance:
Sending an email with document.sxw attached to sxw2doc@openoffice.org would
return document.doc to the sender.

the bad thing is that if it got overused then bandwidth use could skyrocket,
especially since doc files are so big.

Also, for the original poster...
I'm assuming you are using Microsoft word. Perhaps you could call MS and see
what the possibility is for them to add the "Oasis Open Office" format (the
open specification for the file format OpenOffice.org uses). The
documentation is free for all to read at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/3609/
office-spec-1.0-draft-01.pdf

It would probably take MS just a couple of days to implement it if their
customers wanted it (and if they listen to their customers).

Benjamin Long