List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] file Associations
From:       Alex Thurgood <alex.thurgood () free ! fr>
Date:       2003-06-13 16:34:04

Le ven 13/06/2003 à 13:38, bre a écrit :
> Somwhow, I am getting OpenOffice to open any attached docs from my email program. \
> When I installed OO, I said I did NOT want it as my default office program, but I \
> guess it wants to be anyway. I've been trying to find out how to disassociate \
> OpenOffice so MS WORD will open my attached docs, like it always did. I really \
> don't like programs that decide things like this for you. If I say I don't want it \
> as my default program, I don't expect it to ignore me.
> I don't like this product. I realize it's free, but that doesn't mean I have to \
> like it. It loads slowly. It took over my default .doc association even though I \
> didn't want it to. It won't let me disassociate it or if it does, I can't find it. \
> Pages don't display exactly the same as the did with MS Word. The web site sort of \
> sucks. It's too hard to navigate and get help. You have a million items in the \
> preferences but I can't find a thing about associations. I don't even know why I'm \
> bothering to write this, now that I am reading it. I'm just going to uninstall the \
> damn thing and be done with it.
> Star Office didn't have it and neither does this. I don't like MS Word as much as \
> the next guy, but at least I can get help easily for it. Getting help for this is a \
> task.

When you installed OpenOffice.org you were given a choice : do you want
OpenOffice.org to be the default application for the following files ?
Word, Excel, Powerpoint and even HTML This all came up in a window
during installation. You chose to ignore this window or at least
aquiesced by pressing the "Next" button without unticking any of the
preticked boxes.

Obviously, no one can make you like OOo, but then again, no one can make
you read the instructions or the installation dialogs either.

Slow, yes, but getting faster. But OpenOffice.org is not a Microsoft
product, is not programmed by Microsoft and thus has no direct system
hooks that help load lots of its components when you turn on your
computer. Such is life. Can you get Microsoft Word to run on Solaris
Sparc or Linux PPC - OpenOffice.org can. Multiplatform ability
inevitably has a cost. Just look at the Mac - the latest version of
MSOffice for Mac (made by MS) runs rings round Microsoft's own
Windows/Intel offering.

You say you can get help for Word easier than for OpenOffice.org ? Now
that's interesting ? How long have these products been on the market ?
Over 10 years. How long has OOo been available ? 2 years. I think that
the quality of the support groups is far beyond any that I have ever
encountered in those 10 years with MSOffice software (even the user
gripes, oops I meant groups of course).

Try using it for a bit and make some constructive criticism or help with
coding to make this a better product. I'm a simple user, but that
doesn't stop me from submitting bug reports when things don't appear to
be going quite the way they should.

Alex.