List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    RE: [users] OpenOffice Calc
From:       "John McAtee" <jlm40 () psu ! edu>
Date:       2003-05-28 17:46:02

I was able to create a chart from disconnected rows, I assume the same will
be true about columns.  Here's how I did it:

1 I selected the rows that had the labels (row 1) and data (row 3)
2 I clicked on the Insert Object button on the Main Tool Bar and then
clicked on the Chart button.  This turns the pointer into the chart drawing
tool.
3 Since I wanted the chart on a separate page I changed to the blank page.
4 I clicked and dragged out a rectangle for the chart.  This starts the
AutoFormat Chart AutoPilot.
5 Because I was using data in rows I clicked on the check box "First row as
labels".  I assume that clicking the "First column as labels" box will do
the same thing for columns. Then "Next"
6 I picked the column chart type.  I made sure that the "Data Series in:"
said "columns" because the labels for the data shared the same columns. Then
"Next".
7 I picked the Normal chart variant.  Then "Next"
8 I typed in a Title, unchecked the "Legend" box because I did not want a
legend, then "Create".
9 I clicked on the change data arrangement button so the labels would show
up at the bottom of the chart
10 I double clicked the data labels to reformat them by changing to a small
font, rotated them 90 degrees, in "Text Flow" area I picked "Overlap"

To change the color (or colour) of the bars just double click on the one you
want to change and in the "Data Point" dialog box click on the "Area" tab
then pick your colour (or color).  When you are done click "OK".

That should do the job.

I will admit that it took me a little while to figure it out.  I, too, am
very used to Excel and I was trying to do it the M$ way and got frustrated.

John L. McAtee
jlm40@psu.edu