List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Re: conditional page breaks and non-breakable blocks -- formatting for books, like XyWri
From:       RBE <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2003-03-06 4:05:42

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 2:51 pm, Tamar Granor wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 07:48:28 -0500 (EST), dave192@burtonsys.com
> (David
>
> Burton) wrote:
> >XyWrite also supported what they called "non-breakable blocks."
> >Non-breakable blocks would not be split by automatic page breaks.
> >Non-breakable blocks came in two forms.
>
> You can set a paragraph (or a paragraph style) so that the entire
> paragraph must be on the same page (assuming it's a page or less in
> length). You can also set successive paragraphs to be kept together
> on the same page. While this isn't the same kind of control you're
> describing, it should serve most needs.
>
> The settings for these are in the Paragraph dialog (Format |
> Paragraph in the menu).

I understand that styles can be used for this, but most often it's a
single paragraph (which, when made unbreakable, changes page breaks
further on) and really does not perform the same function.  It is
amazing to those of us used to working with styles and templates that
most users of word processing programs do not use styles and templates
and are a bit afraid to learn how to use them.

Also, the non-breakable paragraph feature we are describing integrates
with some other features to make the final output close to professional
in appearance, something actually impossible at this time in OOo (or
most other word processors).

--
Robert Black Eagle (DS)
Get my key from http://www.keyserver.net/en