List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Re: modularized openoffice.org
From:       Robert Steinmetz <rob () steinmetznet ! com>
Date:       2003-02-03 22:39:37

Jim Kelleher wrote:

> The Module approch does have some charm, Unfortantly I think I have to agree.
> Since we are constantly getting that one. And other simple ones. We do need to
> keep it simple for the ability to wean the M$ users...
> Although there might be some way to do it and still keep it simple but that
> sounds like  a True headache!
>
> Jim

I think the primary problem is the way the OO Windows install works. If it could
be a little smarter, you could solve the Office problem by checking to see if
Office is installed and defaulting to not associating the file extensions. On
Windows you might even want to make that the default. Of course it does no harm to
associate the file extensions if you don't have Office installed. Wordperfect
Office can open most Office files but doesn't associate the extensions, although
you can do it by hand. Some users just need the computer to hit them on the side
of the head with a 2x4 during the install. I have to admit I got caught by the
extensions when I first installed OO, just because I didn't pay attention.

--
Robert Steinmetz AIA
Principal