List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: modularized openoffice.org
From:       Andrew Gray <argray () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-02-03 20:44:16

Anthony Valentine <amv@sbsalaska.com> wrote in
news:1044292612.7572.1245.camel@mis3.sbsalaska.com:

> Hello.
>
> I've been thinking of bloated software recently, and I came to the
> conclusion that people want lots of features.  Unfortunately,
> different people want different features, so to keep people happy, all
> these features get added.  Before you know it, your program is bloated
> and slow.
>
> This begs the question, can OpenOffice.org be modularized, like the
> Linux kernel is?  That is to say, can I compile in certain features
> that I want, leave others out that I'll never use and make other
> features as modules that can be loaded when needed?

MS Office allows you to uncheck modules during install.  Don't need
Power Point?  Uncheck it, and reduce the installation size. However,
while the phrase "can OpenOffice.org be modularized, like the Linux
kernel ...[to] compile in certain features..." might seem like a neat
idea to you, believe me it strikes cold terror into the hearts of many
"mainstream" Windows users. :-)

I've read several postings recently about people who didn't uncheck the
'associate MS Office files with OO' switch during a plain install and
now can't figure out why Word doesn't open their .doc files.  People
need the package to remain simple, not grow more complex.