List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Awareness (was RE: You've got to be kidding)
From:       Robert Citek <rwcitek () alum ! calberkeley ! org>
Date:       2002-12-30 17:11:10

At 11:53 AM 12/30/2002 -0500, Scott Lothrop wrote:
>It's not just not just about branding, it is also about awareness.  I've
>been in the computer industry for over seven years and never heard of Open
>Office until I got Red Hat 8, which had it as the default office.  Maybe a
>celebrity would help with awareness.
>
>As someone said earlier in this thread it is also about interoperability.
>Whether we like it or not MS has the majority of the market share in the
>Office Suite market and to succeed, OpenOffice needs to be able to work with
>MS Office formats well.

What do you do when someone complains he cannot read a .PDF file because he
does not have Adobe Acrobat?  You point him to Adobe's website and say
"Download and Install."

What do you do when someone complains he cannot read a .SWF file because he
does not have Macromedia Flash?  You point him to Macromedia's website and
say "Download and Install."

What do you do when someone complains they cannot read an OpenOffice file?

Here is what I do:
  http://www.openoffice.org
  http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/1.0.1/index.html
For those MS-Windows users that are Internet-impared I burn a CD for them
with OpenOffice and other OpenSource software:
  http://theopencd.org

Regards,
- Robert