List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] (OT)  Various kinds of Linux
From:       Olav Pettershagen <olav.pettershagen () trysil ! online ! no>
Date:       2002-12-02 10:49:38

Måndag 2. desember 2002 11:32 skreiv Gary Turner:
> You will find
> Debian to be the easiest to maintain, upgrade, and patch due to its
> intelligent package manager APT.  (Talk to anyone about RPM dependency
> hell)
>
> My advice?  I would highly recommend Debian.  Once you get past the
> install, you're on easy street.  All security upgrades, bug fixes, and
> new installs are virtually automatic.  Support is via mail-list and very
> active and very knowledgeable.

Well, this part goes for SuSE as well (BTW the only distibution I have ever
used so I can not compare) - no "RPM dependency hell" - but this is perhaps
because I use SuSE's optional apt4rpm, which is a blatant ripoff of Debian's
APT I believe ;).

And OpenOffice has always installed cleanly "out-of-the-box" and been ready
for productive use without other tweaking than adding a couple of extra
dictionaries.

Olav