List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Puzzling .doc file
From:       Olav Pettershagen <olav.pettershagen () trysil ! online ! no>
Date:       2002-10-10 9:56:22

Hello,

I received a really short and simple (no heavy formatting) doc file for
translation the other day.

The first thing I noticed was that my Linux system did not recognise it as a
word file because it was given the icon for unknown file types. The next
thing was that OOO could not open the file, obviously did not recognise it as
a known format.

So I imported the file into a translation tool (which had no problems with
it), translated and exported.

The translated file is given the usual icon for MS Word files by Linux and OOO
opens it without a hitch.

Now I have two identical files (except for the language) with identical file
names. OOO (and Linux) recognises one of them as MS Word but not the other. I
have looked for format differences within the files and for meta information.
However everything is identical as far as I can see. Still there must be some
lacking "meta information" in the first file that prevents OOO (and Linux?)
from recognizing the format.

Anybody with similar experiences?

Olav