List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    RE: [users] OOo and viruses?
From:       Reiner Pietrzak <reiner.pietrzak () piecom ! de>
Date:       2002-05-31 17:13:50

Dear George, dear Anton,

Am 30.05.2002, 19:49:23, schrieb "George Wolf" <gandawolf@starpower.net>
zum Thema RE: [users] OOo and viruses?:

Am 31.05.2002, 14:40:03, schrieb "Anton J Aylward, CISSP" <aja@si.on.ca>
zum Thema RE: [users] OOo and viruses?:

> ..

> How do I do this and stay "safe"?
> Well, no-one is absolutely safe.  I suppose I could, as some people
> have, get Hepatitis from a contaminated blood supply after being
> involved in a bad car accident.  But I try to drive carefully  ;-)

> There are many sources on what not to do
>   - Don't open attachments
>   - Don't let your e-mail browser automatically run attachments
>   - Don't let your rendering s/w automatically run scripts in HTML
>   - DON'T run ActiveX downloads NO MATTER WHAT!
>   - Set your WP to NOT automatically run macros
>       (actually I never run macros)
>   - Run a kernel that blocks buffer overflows
>   - Don't run untrusted tasks with high (root) privilege.

> Does this seem restrictive?  Of course!  Think about the corresponding
> rules for not contacting a STD.  Some of them are going to impinge on
> your "fun".  If you define "fun" that way.

> I don't find downloading the latest "toys", screen-savers and animations
> to be "fun".  YMMV.

> This is realy about Risk Management.  What risks are you willing to
> accept and what are you willing to assign?

> ..

> What do I run on my network?  I run a spam filter.  I run an advert
> filter. The former is built in to procmail.  Occasionally it tells me I
> have something that looks like a virus.  How come?  Well go look at the
> Junkfilter site.  The advert filter is built into a caching proxy, which
> of course helps my web browsing.

> I don't run a public web server or public mail server on my machine.

> Of course this doesn't offer absolute protection.  Nothing does, don't
> kid yourself.  But what it comes down to is, as I say, Risk Management.
> I've decided never to run macros.  PERIOD.  If you think macros are a
> real neat thing and want to run them, then all power to you, but
> recognize that you are exposing yourself to a risk.

> Stop thinking that there are some absolutes, that the universe is
> inherently benign.

> ..

I can only back your opinions concerning macro language in Ooo. It should
be absolutely transparent to the end user, whether macros are activated
in his actual environment or not and what risks he is about to expose
himself to.

But the first step should have been if not already conducted by the
developers is a risk study of Ooo's supported macro language and
programming API concerning security against virus attacks independent
from additional personal measures to reduce risks. I also hope SUN
officials have some opinion about this and I would like to hear something
about that before I recommend OOo/SO to customers.

Thanks for reading,
Reiner Pietrzak