List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    [users] File associations
From:       Jean-Bruno Luginbuhl <jean_bruno_luginbuhl () yahoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-04-04 8:23:34

Hi all,

I have installed the 642 french version on a HP Xe3
notebook under Win98 OS. I have choosen the option of
file assotiation (wich is great to have included since
the 641c I was using until now didn't. But there is
still a problem, as with the sxc,sxw also. When making
the file assotiation, the application do not put the
quotes, this implie that when opening a file with more
than 8.3 character you will get a shortened name and
so when saving having it in a new name.

To better explain, do this. For example you have newly
created a file with name my document.sxc, now you want
to open it by double clicking on it in the Windows
Explorer. When open in the speadsheet application you
have the file with the name mydocu~1.sxc open. When
you modify it and save it you will have it under the
name mydocu~1.sxc, which is not what we want.

The solution is to edit by hand the file assotiation
under windows and to put the quotes to the invocation
of soffice (ex: "C:\Program
Files\OpenOffice\Program\scalc.exe" "%1"). It should
be corrected for the next version of OO.

To present my self, I use OO 641c (before SO 5.2) in a
Windows/Linux environment. What stop me to go to Linux
is that I can (for the moment) not make run some of my
Win32 app run under Linux. But now I have three people
using OO instead of MS Office. There is a major
amelioration with OO vs SO 5.2 in the filter for MS
Office documents. Globally the application is good,
but there is still problems with opening time of
documents. Not the program loading, but the opening.
In the 642 build it seems that it is better, I must
try but still on some documents it takes 40 sec (1min
30 sec with 641c) to open but "only" 4 sec for MS
Excel. An other point is, in the spreadsheet when
moving tag sheets on some files (that are quiet big,
but not that much), it takes many seconds to finish
and we do not know that the program is working. Under
MS Excel for the same file it take a snap (not 1 sec)
to do the same job.

Cheers

Jean-Bruno