List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: Word count, again....
From:       blabla <blabla1 () cwazy ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-08 7:46:45

Ian Laurenson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 09:18, blabla wrote:
> Why is it useful to have the "current cursor position" displayed in the
> status bar?

'cos there is work where you get paid by the line (60 characters) and it
is good to know where exactly you are

that is the maxime for this (possible) tool I think - it is only useful
to those who earn a living with texts and who need to know exactly where
they are

> What do you mean by position of the cursor, is it:
> 1. X and Y coordinates? By what measurement system (or selectable):
> pixels, points, inches, cms ...

What I meant was page/no. of pages/line on that page/no. of lines on
that page/character count in row/number of possible characters in row or
something that gives you the same info in a different format

> This would be easy to implement but I can't see any advantages in a
> predominantly text document.
>
> 2. Number of characters from left margin (or right margin for right to
> left text), and number of lines down the page?
> I'm not sure why this would be useful either.

'cos there's work paid according to manuscript pages (which themselves
differ depending on the contractor but all of them have a set no. of
lines and characters per row) - again dead useful to know where you are.

> If there was an object in
> the paragraph that shifted the text right what position should be
> displayed for number of characters from left edge?

Good question - since I'm into the actual counting of text I don't care
about a picture here or there (i.e. position displayed should reflect
number of characters in row)

If a paragraph has
> line spacing of say double, what value for number of lines down the page
> should be displayed - 1 for each line of actual text or two? Regardless,
> currently I don't think that this would not be easy to implement.

Since I am into the counting of text I would like each line counted that
has text in it (i.e. spacing is immaterial)

> I.e. I would need very precise information about what is to be
> displayed, and to make it high enough in my priority list good reasons
> to implement it.
>
> Thanks, Ian

Can you do such wonders? That would be simply fantastic!!! I am more
than willing to let you have proper examples to support some of the
things said in this thread and help in any other (non-programming:-) way
possible.

Regards

Ingo