List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] OO startup time
From:       Robert Vojta <robert.vojta () openoffice ! cz>
Date:       2005-02-07 11:33:03

Hallo,

> if this is really true (what I read somewhere) that OO startup time of
> version 2.0 will be even longer than the awful one we already have, then
> this would mean to me that I finally would have to leave this program!

  yes and no ... You have to try it to get your own opinion. Just grab the
development snapshot and you'll see.

> For stability & performance reasons I don't like to fill up memory
> permanently with startup code.

  Filled memory has anything with stability? Maybe on the Microsoft Windows
operating system where memory management lacks intelligence. I'm using
GNU/Linux in 99% and have no problems on machines with 256, 512 or 1024MB of
RAM. Free RAM doesn't mean stability or performance, it's common
misunderstanding ... Your OS should use the RAM for better perfomance or you
can remove it from your computer and live with 128MB ;)

> Instead of endlessly adding bloating "features" that hardly are really used
> I suggest to finally resolve THIS issue.

  For example? OpenOffice.org Base? ;)

--
 Robert Vojta                                                           Czech
 OpenOffice.cz site                                                    Slovak