List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Re: IBM Workplace
From:       Ian Lynch <ian.lynch () zmsl ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 22:31:18

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 05:24, Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:

> >And, as I stated earlier, OOo will never been GPL (at least not GPL
> >only) because Sun wants to be able to sell Star Office without
> >releasing parts of the source code.
>
> Sun owns the copyright of source for OOo. It can do what it pleases and
> relicense as it will.

That was the main thrust of my thesis. Why it might be in Sun's interest
to do this even though it might at first appear to be counter-intuitive.

Looking at the bigger picture, it might be simpler and more profitable
to drop Star Office altogether but otoh it might not, only Sun really
knows the figures.
--
Ian Lynch <ian.lynch@zmsl.com>
ZMS Ltd