List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    RE: [discuss] OpenOffice.org and Firefox on a Linspire CD-ROM for $29.95
From:       Sigmascape1 () cs ! com
Date:       2004-12-02 12:19:51

Bruce,

It would be an ordeal. Organization, time and effort would be needed. In reality, \
there are no limits to the possibilities of such an effort, but would only be as \
effective as the people involved want it to be.

Its my opinion that oss in general is doing a fine job in making itself known to the \
business world. Businesses, large and small, are being made aware of the benefits of \
oss by various sources, including a growing band of IT consultants who see oss as a \
way to make money using oss in their business efforts. Over the past couple of years, \
I've been interested in getting non-businesses interested in oss, and in particular, \
OpenOffice and GIMP. These two apps are obviously ready for prime time, and there is \
no reason at all that the average consumer could not make use of them. The trick is \
getting exposure to those 'average' consumers who have made companies like Microsoft \
an enormous fortune. Linspire, love them, hate them, have no real opinion, whatever \
of them, is trying to expose oss to the masses. Linspire's Robertson said, and I \
totally agree with him, get the consumer to use oss on their Windows box, and moving \
them to Linux is a lot easier.

I am rambling on, but it is because I have strong feelings on this subject. My line \
of thinking is that if I can turn someone like my girlfriend on to using \
OpenOffice.org, Microsoft is in serious trouble... maybe not today, or tomorrow, but \
trouble is coming.

MLF

www.sigmascape.com