List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    feasible?
From:       Bob Tennent <rdt () cs ! queensu ! ca>
Date:       2004-11-23 16:15:10

Hi. I'm interested in drawing charts with text-containing rectangles and
connectors but with the following properties:

 + The boxes are *centered* at a grid point.

 + The boxes are just large enough to enclose the contained text
   (with a fixed standard margin horizontally and vertically). If the
   contained text is modified, the enclosing box expands or contracts
   automatically.

 + The connectors go from center point to center point, but are
   "shadowed" by the boxes. If there is an arrowhead on the connector,
   it abuts the target box. If the box expands or contracts, the
   connector contracts or expands automatically and the arrowhead shifts
   automatically.

 + If a box with connectors attached is moved, the connectors are
   automatically adjusted.

For examples of the kind of chart I have in mind, see

http://www.cs.queensu.ca/UGHandbook/prereq.html

These were produced using LaTeX (and a special set of macros).

As far as I can tell, no GUI-oriented drawing program supports such
charts; am I right? Would it be feasible to add such features to Draw?

Bob Tennent