List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Chris Prattley's blog
From:       "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2004-04-30 22:19:06

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 09:45:04 AM +0100, Sander Vesik (Sander.Vesik@Sun.COM) wrote:

> I'm sure youve seen his blog before, it has been talked about quiet a
> bit -- http://blogs.msdn.com/chris_pratley/
>
> <quote>
>
> One person asked about being able to open or save the Open Office
> format. That should be possible with a converter or transform. Word has
> a freely available SDK for its converters, so if someone wanted to make
> such an import/export converter, they could. Converters are a lot of
> work though, and we only make them when a critical mass of customers
> need them.

Fair enough: it is exactly the same reason (no offense intended, just
stating a fact) why there isn't yet an OOolite, a native Mac X version
or many other features in OOo.

It is also why, since this message,
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=137416&listName=discuss

I have been suggesting that users lobby their government to only
release and accept documents in open formats, whatever they used to
create them.

Goverments look much, much more "critical mass" to Microsoft than
millions of private citizens.

Ciao,
	marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it