List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Down with Censorship!!!
From:       "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2004-04-24 4:40:05

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 23:36:46 PM -0400, Chad Smith (cws456456@aol.com) wrote:

> udub@cwnet.com wrote:
>
> >The subject in discussion has nothing to do marketing or Microbuck.
> >It also has nothing to with black in itself. The issue at hand is
> >the associativeness of "black" as a standalone with criminal. This
> >thread will never end until we can see this. We may decide to
> >discontinue this thread but that would not solve the problem. The
> >solution is not the removal of the word "black" from this
> >particular thesaurus but to disassociate "black" as a standalone
> >with criminal.
> >
> >This is how I see it.
>

> Let me ask you this then...  If I was writing a paper, and I was talking
> about the black market, meaning an underground group of sellers of
> contraband, but I didn't want to use that word, because it might offend
> people, (sic), AND I didn't want to have to say "an underground group of
> sellers of contraband" every since time, because that might CONFUSE
> people ---  wouldn't I need the theasaurus to tell me that the black
> market is a criminal market?

[snip]

> it's all about CONTEXT people....  CONTEXT
>
> grow up

Yes, please. This is getting ridiculous. As far as I know, for
example, "criminal market" came to be called "black market" simply
because it is done "in the darkness", ie out of sight of
authorities/taxes/fines/ etc. And racists can fully express their
hatred simply saying "those _africans_", instead of black/niggers/
whatever, with the right tone of voice.

Here in Europe we have invented the "politically correct" euphemism
extra-communitarian.

Literally it designates all non EU citizens. Hence, G.W. Bush, Britney
Spears, any north american WASP and any refugee of any race from
Africa, Asia and so on are all extra-communitarians in the same
way. Nice, uh?

Still, you hear in the news things like "Girl raped by five
extra-communitarians, citizens of <some african country>".

The news is "Girl raped by five people/criminals". The only reason to
phrase it as above is to hint "and if you only voted this guy, you'd
be free of these subhumans for good, whatever thesaurus is in your
PC".

Ciao,

Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

It's always socially unacceptable to be right too soon. -- RAH