List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] base method to maintain format cross platform
From:       Eron Lloyd <elloyd () lancaster ! lib ! pa ! us>
Date:       2003-11-26 12:43:24

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 7:13 am, Sepehr Kiani wrote:
> Mathias Bauer wrote:
> >OOo1.1 does not use printer metrics by default as OOo1.0.x. So if you
> >still get the same problems with new documents created in OOo1.1, I
> >assume that it's more a font problem. If OOo uses slightly different
> >fonts on Linux your layout will also differ slightly.
>
> So what I'm hearing is that this a fundamental problem with fonts and I
> should have no expectation for an OOo document to appear the same in
> Windows and Linux? Seems that MSO under wine is a better solution to
> true crossplatform requriments,  bummer.

Even Macs and PCs have had this historical problem, from font size differences
to Web page viewing. Your looking at *completely* different architectures,
using different code to render screen objects, fonts, etc. At some point OOo
relies on these sub-systems to display the application. When working between
Linux/Windows, there is a *tad* bit of a difference, but because I'm in Linux
99% of the time and most things I produce don't get modified (just reviewed)
by people in Windows, a PDF always works well. I think the 2,000 other
benefits of moving to OOo quickly outweigh this inconvenience.

Cheers,

Eron Lloyd

---