List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Re: emulating menus
From:       "Robert  Derman" <robert () dermancomputer ! com>
Date:       2004-03-31 20:41:25

----- Original Message -----
From: "D W" Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 9:44 AM

> On 30 Mar 2004 at 19:27, Y J Landro wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Indeed, that was my point: to make the transition to OOo easier for
> > users of other applications. I think it would be nice to be able to
> > switch menus/commands/UIs so that users felt immediately at home in
> > their new, improved environment.
> [snip]
>
> Huh?
>
> My friends complain about how MS Word is laid out. Why duplicate their
menus?
> OOo is simpler to use. Menu items are in a more logical place in OOo.
>
> I remember using Word for the first time. No one ever taught me. I had
used WP
> before, so all I had to do was pretty much pull down the menus and find
what I
> needed. Of course, some things were harder to find or not present. But,
the learning
> curve was small.
> <soapbox>
> If it's better, why go back? IMHO
> -Donna

Robert Derman replies:
    The best suggestion I have heard on this subject is to put a switch
somewhere in OOo that would switch between OOo and M$ Office style UI.  Sort
of like the switch in Win XP that lets you select between an XP interface
and one that looks more like the old Win 9x.  The only drawback I can see to
this is the developer time to code it, and the little bit of extra code in
the OOo package.  A little bit more to download.  I am not a programmer, but
AFAIK this shouldn't add more than a couple of K of code.   I am not sure if
the installed base of WP users is big enough to justify putting a WP
emulation setting on this feature, but the M$ Office certainly is.