List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] OpenOffice.org KDE integration
From:       Jan Holesovsky <kendy () artax ! karlin ! mff ! cuni ! cz>
Date:       2003-09-18 9:49:01

Hi!

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, M. Fioretti wrote:

> > the first step towards the OOo KDE integration.
>
> Every Free SW project has equal dignity and programming just for the
> fun of it is great. Said this, may I ask what the practical reason for
> such a project is?
>
> If integration means "all users can exchange data regardless of the
> application, without filters" then it makes much more sense to switch
> KOffice to the OASIS format, as it actually happened for just this
> reason, and work on that.
>
> Unless, of course, "OOo KDE integration" means "write a *new* complete
> *nix office suite by taking an existing application whose first
> advantage is OASIS support, and removing all the bloat it has to bear
> to remain cross platform".
>
> So which one it is?

None of them. My intention is to provide OOo with KDE look and feel, so it
will still be OpenOffice.org. Why to do it? OOo is a mature piece of
software. For me, this reason is good enough.

> I appreciate the second one, but just to be sure,
> it basically means that this approach would be less work than
> improving KOffice, or not? If yes, why?

I am not sure, in what stage of development KOffice currently is. But I
guess, that by "improving KOffice" you mean "implement things that are not
implemented yet". Implement something from scratch is definitely more work
than to adopt existing code to your needs.

Kendy