List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] RFC:  LGPL/BSD dictionaries
From:       Martin Hollmichel <martin.hollmichel () sun ! com>
Date:       2003-05-31 18:38:00

Davide Dozza wrote:

> Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>> These are:
>>
>> Croation (Croatia)  - license LGPL
>> English (AU) - license LGPL English (US) - license LGPL and already
>> included by default
>> English (UK) - license LGPL
>> Italian (Italy) - license LGPL or GPL (you get to choose)
>> Lithuanian (Lithuania) - license BSD

filling out the form (http://external.openoffice.org/forms) make review
easy.

>> If we then add in the hyphenation dictionaries that are already in
>> the tree or
>> that have LGPL or public domain licenses, I would forsee the following
>> stucture being added to the CVS at some point where each directory
>> has its own makefile.mk and will deliver either a hyphenation
>> dictionary, or a spellcheck dictionary or both if they are both
>> available.
>>
>> external/dictionaries/
>> external/dictionaries/da_DK/
>> external/dictionaries/de_DE/
>> external/dictionaries/en_AU/
>> external/dictionaries/en_GB/
>> external/dictionaries/en_US/
>> external/dictionaries/hr_HR/
>> external/dictionaries/it_IT/
>> external/dictionaries/lt_LT/
>> external/dictionaries/ru_RU/
>> external/dictionaries/util/

I'd prefer external/addons/dictionaries to make it clear that these are
addtional items which are also not included in the standard source tar
balls ?!

>> Each makefile.mk would check an environment variable (hopefully set by
>> configure) that would indicate if the builder wanted support for that
>> language included or not.
>>
>> If the builder has set that environment variable, then the
>> makefile.mk will deliver the proper dictionaries to the local output
>> tree and add a line to dictionary.lst file registering that dictionary.
>>
>> Once all of the included directories are built and the dictionary.lst
>> file is created, the dictionaries will all be zipped up into one
>> archive that can
>> then more easily be delivered to the solver and installed by scp.
>>
>> So the builder can then determine which dictionaries are included and
>> installed by the installer.  The User will always have the option of
>> removing or adding to these with full GPL dictionaries using the
>> dictionary installers or some other installer or simply by adding
>> them by hand if need be.
>>
>> Any comments on this approach (good or bad) would be welcome.

I also look forward for some feedback :)

>> Hopefully this will give the builder the flexibility to control what
>> dictionaries he/she wants their user's to have by default.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think of this approach to integrating
>> allowable dictionaries into the CVS tree (assuming they get approved).
>>
>> If this looks like a good plan, I will create the necessary patches
>> to support all of this and test it and have them ready to go in case
>> final approval comes in before OOo 1.1 Final.

We should open an issue for that.

> ..

> The only problem I view in this is the mantaining of the dictionaries.
> Who will be delegated to update them? Is it possible to give access to
> CVS directly to mantainers of dictionaries?

yes, that will be possible - not saying that this is the only option.

> Davide
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kevin

Martin