List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Solving_the_wrong_problems,_was:_Targeting_Wall_St.?=
From:       "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Marco_Fioretti?=" <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2003-02-20 15:11:37

>With the recent successes that Linux has had on financial
>services market should we develop a version of OOo that’s
>particularly tailored for this vertical?
>
>For example, including special financial sector templates for
>both Writer and Calc?

Shouldn't  we include special astrology templates?
Shouldn't we include a database component?
Shouldn't we include a project management component?
Shouldn't we include a web browser?
Shoudn't we include a calendar /email application?

(nothing personal against Selva, of course, he just gave me the occasion to
point out a **general** problem)

Developing specialized templates for any sector is very good. After that,
however, it would be infinitely better to explain clearly on the web site where
they are, and how to install them. Not to say to the great majority of users "here,
there was this huge tarball and we made it bigger with pieces that you will
never need": believe it or not, the great majority of the real world is still on
dialup.
OOo is already too big as it is.

Repeat at will for any of the other "components" asked for here every other week
Why does the answer to bad documentation always  have to be "keep the bad
documentation *and* make the packaging worst"?

    Ciao,
                      Marco Fioretti