List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] OCR + Keybd S/cuts - Problems
From:       "Derek Shoreman" <derekshoreman () beeb ! net>
Date:       2003-01-30 13:40:13

Evan de Riel wrote:
 "On the flip side, though, there is the problem of reinforcing bad
habits.  I make it a point to avoid using Microsoft Word ............
.....And, insofar as this principle can be applied  to keyboard shortcuts,
it should be.  In fact, because in the OOo community the developers and
everyday users are all in such close connection, we  should perhaps be
actively searching for these better ways of doing things. ...."

Derek S. adds:
No problem here but there will be many differences of interpretation.
Keyboard s/cuts are probably a very personal preserve, as the WordPerfect
protagonists contributions show.  Mostly, however, we are just stuck in the
mud and old fogie's like me as well as Word adherents aren't going to change
unless we can do so gently.  Any productivity losses by losing excellent
features are likely to be disastrous.  I hate having to actually move over
to Word because OO can't do what I need.  I suspect that some WPft. 'users'
feel the same!

OCR & ABBYY4:
As an example , and recommendation:-    I have a 4 page/160item (approx.)
list of Word s/cuts which I will attach later as a useful reference - it's
somewhere in Word or on-line & I can't remember where so I'm having to scan
it in!  What a bind!  However with ABBYY4   it works remarkably well and
p.1 has needed only a few, though problematic, edits, mainly with spurious
pages which I couldn't find how to remove!   They seem to be some kind of
object I can't identify ........  and I could do it in Word but not OO.   In
addition the Word Table which resulted has each cell item indented neatly,
whereas the OO one has every item tight against the cell 'border', making
the printout very ugly.
The free ABBY4 is a first class OCR package (you pay for the latest v.7),
enough for me, and has proved much more accurate than the Omnipage 9 and 10
I tried formerly.  It exports to Word 97/2000 format, which then imported to
OO pretty well.  A move to persuade ABBYY to provide an XML export format
(and perhaps set the standard) might be a good thing.  Has anyone else tried
ABBYY?

Regards,   Derek S.