List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] help needed
From:       Louis Suarez-Potts <louis () openoffice ! org>
Date:       2003-01-29 6:23:44

on 1/28/03 9:31 PM, Scott Carr at scarr@progbits.com wrote:

> The developer version 643C actually has Export to PDF included.  You do not
> need
> anything further other than to download 643C.
>
> I don't know where 643C is as far as General Release, but it should be
> somewhere
> down the road.

See the roadmap and codeline explanations. They are invaluable and Martin
Hollmichel and his team have done an excellent job of clarifying the process
and plan regarding OpenOffice.org 1.0, OpenOffice.org 1.1, and the
development branches.

 http://tools.openoffice.org/releases/index.html

Basically there is "no development of features on the 1.0.x branch"--we
voted on the feature set last year (about a year ago, in February, the
branch was created).  Development takes place on the other branch, the 64x.
The feature set of the 64x branch is as we have seen growing in
sophistication.  The 64x branch is the trunk (so to speak) for
OpenOffice.org 1.1.x, to be deployed sometime later this year.  (The arrows
in the roadmap head off into the blank distance... ;) )  The 64x builds are
those we call "developer" builds to distinguish from the very stable but
slightly more limited 1.0 builds, which continue the earlier 641.

My impression is actually that 643c is quite stable and certainly worth
downloading--especially if you want to help bugfix & test.

Of course, if you have a Mac, you have pdf printing automagically.
;)

Cheers,
Louis