List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: Re[2]: [discuss] Data on OpenOffice usage needed!
From:       Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2002-12-23 16:00:29

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 10:21:54 at 10:21:54AM -0500, DW (dwalt@suffolk.lib.ny.us) wrote:
> Why would the expense be that much? If a person knows MS Office, they should
> be able to pick up OOo quite quickly with very little training. I wonder if

I agree: this happens all the time, but I have never
understood this particular argument, especially when (often!) it comes
not from Microsoft, but from their customers/victims, starting from those who
babble all the time:

	"We are technology driven"
	"The commitment and skills of our people are what makes us
		better"
        "To cut costs, we will lay off people, and outsorce the
         maintenance of our servers to overpaid consultants"

	-- add cliche' from your company here --

It really sounds like "we started buying board markers from a
different supplier, so we scheduled you all for a 3-days course next
week"...

True story:
In my company, people suggesting switch from MS Office to StarOffice
last year were told (in an intranet forum, by the corporate IT
management...) the same thing: it doesn't make sense because for each
employee, the cost of "training" (= some days full time not working
plus teacher plus lab) would be much more than the cost of MS license.
(The implicit conclusion) ...and if you are so dumb that such a simple
calculation is above your head, maybe we'd be better off _without_
you...

	Ah, well..

			Ciao
				Marco Fioretti