List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: discuss Digest 27 Nov 2002 17:29:21 -0000 Issue 733
From:       "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon () mxm ! mesh ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2002-11-27 23:59:50

The one reason I have to use the Japanese version of MS-Word is the
"ruby text" feature...

Re:

"Interestingly these fields are also abused by word to implement the
"ruby text" (format->asian layout->phonetic text) asian feature. And is
implemented for handling that subfeature. I admit that the EQ field is
not on my radar at the moment, there hasn't be a hue and cry demanding
action on it so far :-)"

Maybe not a hue, but here's a cry for it.  I have to translate Japanese
into English as part of my job, and without that feature, I would have
to spend a lot longer on each translation.  It's not something that
native Japanese readers need at all, but for a non-native Japanese
reader, it's a very important feature... the ONLY feature that I must
use MS-Word for.

Incidentally, I noticed an irritating difference between MSWord-2000 and
MSWord 2002 (xp) today.  Whereas with W-2000, you can resize the ruby
hiragana phonetic text along with the main kanji text, with MSW-2002,
the smaller phonetic text stays where it was and the enlarged main kanji
text overshadows it.

More (useless?) details.  I upgraded a W-98 computer (with Office-2000)
to  W-2000 and the previously installed (under W-98) Office-2000 worked
fine... for 24  hours, and then the entire suite because unusable,
irreparable, and un-uninstallable!  I manually deleted the MSOffice
folder and it's corrupt contents and installed Office-xp... which
worked, but what in the world is going on?  Deactivation over the Net??
Very strange....  During that time, OpnOf worked fine, enabling me to
work with Excel and Word files.

Getting people in the company I'm working at to use it is quite
difficult however. They work in great fear of doing anything unorthodox
with their computers... sigh... conservative Japan.....

Lyle