List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] OOextras
From:       Travis Bauer <trbauer () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2002-05-29 22:49:46

Eike Rathke (er@erack.de) wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 09:52:55 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > I'd like to ask you to consider merging OOoExtras into OOodocs
> > (www.ooodocs.org).  I don't see any good reason to keep the to sites
> > seperate.
>
> I too would like to see them merging, ooextras just covers part of
> ooodocs, at least that's how things seem to be right now. BUT there's
> one thing ooodocs should really improve on. If one enters the site he
> gets overwhelmed by news and articles (the /. aspect). If (and only if)
> he scrolls down he may get a glimpse of the word Download near the left
> margin. But that doesn't associate templates and macros or other
> substantial files at all. All the good stuff hidden and burried
> somewhere should get a big link at a very prominent place.
>
>   Eike

Thanks for the note.  I certainly can see some overlap between the two
projects.  However, my impression right now is that their goals are
somewhat orthogonal.  ooodocs seems to be focusing on documentation and
on news.  Even the download section is mostly documentation.

I think this is important and useful.  However, our idea with ooextras
is to accumulate a single download that would include a set of useful
templates, macros, etc that one would directly use with the program.
When we have accumulated enough resources, they will be put into a
sourceforge CVS and released as a single download.
This is different from what ooodocs is accumulating.

You could imagine having one large repository with everything.  But to get
the single download that is our goal, you'd need to have everything separated
into two different sections anyway.

I'd like to suggest a cooperation between the two sites and I'm open to
sharing administration privileges and planning between the two projects
for maximum cooperations.  But my impression right now is that we have two
overlapping but different goals and it might work best to keep them separate.

Cheers,
--
| Travis Bauer | CS Grad Student | IU |