List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Copyright to contributions that are not accepted
From:       "Danese Cooper" <danese () eng ! sun ! com>
Date:       2002-02-25 18:09:14

I also am not a lawyer, but I just got off the phone with one (a Sun lawyer
at that).

Here's the deal.  Since Sun didn't accept the code, the copyright assignment
was
never "perfected" (which in this case means the action of accepting the code
would have completed the transaction, but since Sun didn't accept the code
the
transaction wasn't completed).

So, its as though nothing ever happened.

Danese Cooper
Sun Open Source Programs Office

---

> My question is about who holds the copyright to contributions made after a
Copyright Assignment Form has been submitted if the contribution is
rejected.

> I  have looked throught the relevant FAQs without finding an answer.
>
> Scenario:
>
> 1. I sign the Copyright Assignment Form.
> 2. I submit a contribution which implements a new feature.
> 3. The project decides that my new feature is not within scope/not
campatible in design.
>    The project therefore rejects the contribution.
> 4. Who has the copyright now? Based on the Copyright Assignment Form I
would guess
>    Sun has the copyright and I have lost the right to use and publish my
own work in
>    other contexts (which the LGPL would have given me if the contribution
had been
>    accepted).
>
> Maybe I misunderstand, and perhaps this is not a likely scenario. But
being somewhat wary of lawyers, I would like to know what the Copyright
Assignment Form means in this regard.