List:       openoffice-announce
Subject:    Scripting Framework Early Developer Release 0.2
From:       "Tomas O'Connor" <tomas.oconnor () sun ! com>
Date:       2003-04-02 15:06:16

Hi,

We have just made available the 0.2 Early Developer Release of the Scripting
Framework for OpenOffice.org.

To install this release go to:

http://framework.openoffice.org/scripting/index.html

and follow the instructions in the Install link.

What's new in 0.2:
We have added support for BeanShell [www.beanshell.org] - a typeless Java
interpreter [from OOo you can bring up the BeanShell Interpreter, copy in a
BeanShell script and hit eval to run it, make a change run it again and see the
effect immediately].
We have added support for document scripts, you can now bind to them in the
Assign dialogs.
We have added support for binding scripts to events, as well as menu items and keys.
We have integrated the scripting framework with the StarBasic security settings
in the Tools/Options/ Security settings.
We have modified the framework to allow other developers to create additional
language runtimes and plug them in - guidelines on creating a new runtime are
available on the web site.

The Scripting Framework will allow you to write scripts in Java or BeanShell
with full access to the current document and run them from OOo. We provide a
NetBeans module to support OOo script development and deployment for Java and
BeanShell. You have full access to the current OOo document from your script and
can use any of the Java Uno API's to manipulate it.

You can deploy your scripts to an OpenOffice.org installation or into an
OpenOffice.org document. You can then invoke the scripts
from within OOo, just use the new Tools/ Script Add-on's -> Assign script
dialogs in OOo to bind the available scripts written in Java or BeanShell to a
menu, key or eventbinding and you are all set.

Please feel free to download and try it out against the new OpenOffice 1.1 Beta
build.

Check out some of the contributed utility scripts at:

http://framework.openoffice.org/scripting/utilities-download.html

Best regards,

Scripting Framework Team