List:       openoffice-announce
Subject:    Version Number Proposal
From:       "Josh Berkus" <openoffice () pobox ! com>
Date:       2002-02-01 23:11:38

OpenOffice.org Members:

This proposal was developed by a consensus process on the
 OpenOffice.org Marketing list. We are proposing it to other
 OpenOffice.org mailing lists as a plebiscite in order to gauge the
 general community opinion of the idea. Please be assured that we are
 not able to "force" a change on anybody; instead, we are putting this
 forward as something we think the community will wholeheartedly
 approve.

PROPOSAL REGARDING OPENOFFICE.ORG VERSION NUMBERS:

OpenOffice.org will continue to use the build numbers (e.g. 641C, 647)
 for internal reference. We are not proposing to tell the developers
 how to refer to their program, for which build numbers are apparently
 the most convenient means.

But for purposes of general intelligibility, and to accommodate a
 general expectation of how an Open Source project should number its
 public releases, an "X.Y.Z" numbering scheme will be adopted around
 the time of the release of StarOffice 6.0 this spring. Instead of
 referring to OpenOffice.org by its internal number (e.g., 64x), people
 will be able to refer to it by the new numeration. All downloads will
 use this form. This proposed numbering scheme serves four purposes:

1)  Providing an identifier for the common user interfaces, such as:
 Splash Screen, Title Bar, About Page, Installation Wizard, Web Page.
2) Translating OpenOffice.org build numbering into a simpler value
 which is more easily comprehended by the general public and the press.
3) Building our image that OpenOffice.org is a separate and useful
 product in its own right, not only a part of the StarOffice
 development process.
4) Giving the impression, at the correct time, that OpenOffice.org is
 ready for production use by businesses and individuals.

The first version number will be "1.0.0".

Please review this proposal. We would like for discussion and vote to
 conclude by then end of next week: The deadline is Friday, 2002 Feb.
 8.

Voting will be +1, -1, and indicate approval or disapproval. Feel free
 to comment, make suggestions, and contribute. Any OpenOffice.org
 member may vote; but members must submit their vote to the "discuss"
 list, discuss@openoffice.org; unsubscribed members will have their
 submissions moderated.

IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS OR QUESTION THE MERITS OF THIS PROPOSAL IN
 ADDITION TO VOTING,
 Please do NOT e-mail the sender, Josh Berkus, who may not respond to
  direct e-mails. Instead, post your questions or arguments to this
  list (DISCUSS). Before posting any arguments or counter-proposals,
  you need to read the reasoning behind the proposal:

http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/numbering_proposal.html

-Josh Berkus
 OpenOffice.org Marketing Group
 Volunteer Co-Lead