List:       openocd-development
Subject:    [openocd:tickets] #314 quit doesn't properly detach
From:       "Wren Turkal" <wturkal () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2021-08-22 5:19:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/related)]

--===============0024501135835490677==

It seems to me that a disconnection whether by the command or by a crash of gdb \
should not change exec state. That seems totally logical to me. That way a crash of \
gdb doesn't prevent reattaching and continuing to debug.

With quit though, the explicit detach is intended to restart the program so that it \
isn't paused after exiting the debugger.

The only way that I have found currently to end gdb with the program running is to \
continue execution in gdb. Then, go to another terminal and kill -9 the gdb process. \
This is not great. I would love to be able to choose which to do by only interacting \
with gdb in a normal way. Having to kill the process from another terminal is \
annoying, but it also limits the ability to script certain actions within gdb.

---

** [tickets:#314] quit doesn't properly detach**

**Status:** new
**Milestone:** 0.11.0
**Created:** Thu Aug 19, 2021 05:02 AM UTC by Wren Turkal
**Last Updated:** Thu Aug 19, 2021 03:34 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

The quit command is supposed to detach (and thus continue) the inferior before \
exiting.

If one wants to disconnect without continuing the inferior, there is also a \
disconnect command.

I noticed this change: http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/5600/1

Here's the gdb docs on attach/detach: \
https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/gdb/html_node/gdb_22.html

Here's the gdb docs on detach/disconnect: \
https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Connecting.html#Connecting

It would be lovely to have the right semantics so that quiting continues while \
disconnect does not change the execution state to match these semantics.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because openocd-devel@lists.sourceforge.net is subscribed \
to https://sourceforge.net/p/openocd/tickets/

To unsubscribe from further messages, a project admin can change settings at \
https://sourceforge.net/p/openocd/admin/tickets/options.  Or, if this is a mailing \
                list, you can unsubscribe from the mailing list.
--===============0024501135835490677==

command or by a crash of gdb should not change exec state. That seems totally logical \
to me. That way a crash of gdb doesn't prevent reattaching and continuing to \
debug.</p> <p>With quit though, the explicit detach is intended to restart the \
program so that it isn't paused after exiting the debugger.</p> <p>The only way that \
I have found currently to end gdb with the program running is to continue execution \
in gdb. Then, go to another terminal and kill -9 the gdb process. This is not great. \
I would love to be able to choose which to do by only interacting with gdb in a \
normal way. Having to kill the process from another terminal is annoying, but it also \
limits the ability to script certain actions within gdb.</p> <hr/>
href="https://sourceforge.net/p/openocd/tickets/314/">[tickets:#314]</a> quit doesn't \
exiting.</p> <p>If one wants to disconnect without continuing the inferior, there is \
also a disconnect command.</p> <p>I noticed this change: <a \
href="http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/5600/1" \
attach/detach: <a href="https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/gdb/html_node/gdb_22.html" \
rel="nofollow">https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/gdb/html_node/gdb_22.html</a></p> \
href="https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Connecting.html#Connecting" \
rel="nofollow">https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Connecting.html#Connecting</a></p>
disconnect does not change the execution state to match these semantics.</p> <hr/>
href="https://sourceforge.net/p/openocd/admin/tickets/options.">https://sourceforge.net/p/openocd/admin/tickets/options.</a> \
                Or, if this is a mailing list, you can unsubscribe from the mailing \
                list.</p></div>