List:       openocd-development
Subject:    Re: [OpenOCD-devel] debug kernel on pandaboardES + flyswatter2
From:       Paul Fertser <fercerpav () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-27 10:58:24

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:41:05AM +0100, Denis CIOCCA wrote:
> I'm trying to use OpenOCD and Flyswatter2 debugger on PandaBoard ES to
> debug kernel code.
> My procedure:
> - start uboot and stop it.
> - start openocd and then gdb.
> - on gdb:
>      - target remote localhost:3333

I recommend extended-remote as you then would be able to use "start"
and "run" (not that it matters for your case but might come useful for
bare metal code).

>      - monitor reset run
>      -  monitor halt (after the U-Boot comes up)
>      - symbol-file vmlinux

You could have started it like "gdb vmlinux" and skip this step.

> using stepi I can go step by step but I can not use cont or another

It's likely you can use hbreak instead of break and it'll work and
probably be enough for you to debug. Also try to see if you're able to
debug u-boot code (so the instruction cache would be disabled).

I was facing similar issue but on an older arm9 core, it turned out
the ICache wasn't invalidated. Please see if you need something like
http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/1817/ , check that the corresponding
cache handling routines are getting called etc.

mailto:fercerpav@gmail.com