List:       openocd-development
Subject:    [Openocd-development] RFC: struct cleanup and more
From:       zw () superlucidity ! net (Zach Welch)
Date:       2009-05-31 23:37:22

Hi all,

The following things nagged at me when I did the target_type clean-up:

1) Remove redundant structure typedefs:
  a) Entails the following steps (for each named struct "type"):
        i) s/^typedef struct type_s/struct type_s/
       ii) s/^} type_t;/};/
      iii) s/type_t/struct type_s/
       iv) Fix any messes that these commands miss or make. ;)
  b) Eliminates what are essentially duplicated symbols:
    - simplifies the Doxygen documentation tremendously.
    - eliminates style ambiguity and forward referencing.

2) Improve the documentation for the target module files.
  - would be best to wait until other cleanup is done.

3) More moving and module clean-up:
  - I target.h needs some re-organization.
  - I have a jtag.h doc patch in progress.

How do these changes look in the community's eyes?  These were on the
list of things to be considered for 0.2.0, but no one addressed them.

I will post patches to clean-up and removal of jtag_tap_t in reply to
this thread, to provide better foundation for concrete discussion about
issue #1.  While I think this would help the code and documentation a
lot, I would even go further to suggest "s/_s//" from all struct names.

Cheers,

Zach