List:       openocd-development
Subject:    [Openocd-development] FLASH access per target vs bank
From:       chromy () asix ! cz (Pavel Chromy)
Date:       2007-08-09 13:37:44

Hi,

Dominic Rath wrote:
> > The approach I took:
> > The 32-bit virtual address space is huge (when speaking about MCUs) and
> > even if some flash bank is in fact not part of the targets address space,
> > it may be mapped into some unused range in this address space (for
> > programming purposes). In my opinion, this is not a significant limitation
> > for practical usage and we can live with that before there is a better
> > solution.
> >
> I know of at least one user who's debugging multiple LPC2000 devices on a
> single board that are part of the same JTAG chain. All of those targets will
> have their flash mapped to the same address. This might be a corner case, but
> it's definitely possible.

Sure, this might happen, I agree on that, however, this would be solved by assigning \
flash banks to targets.

What I meant by above was the case of a flash memory which is not (in reality) part \
of an address space of any target. (like serial flash to boot from, data flash, \
etc...) In such a case assigning this memory to one of the targets (the one it is \
accessed from) and mapping it to some unused address range shall not do any harm.

I mean, it is not a necessity to have access to memory per bank basis. Per target \
access shall be sufficient.

Regards,
  Pavel