List:       openocd-development
Subject:    [Openocd-development] Fwd: Re: GDB problems with STR7
From:       Dominic.Rath () gmx ! de (Dominic Rath)
Date:       2006-11-07 13:09:00

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 14:04, Dominic Rath wrote:
> It works much well! BTW how many hardware breakpoints are available with
> such a configuration? 2? 3? Tests I made using 2 breakpoints or
> watchpoints went fine, as long as you remove one of them if you simple
> step, so I guess that 2 is the maximum..
The Embedded-ICE macrocell inside the ARM7/9 has two comparators that can be
used either as a breakpoint or as a watchpoint. Therefor you can set a
maximum of two hw breakpoints and/or watchpoints.

To support software breakpoints, the OpenOCD uses one of these comparators to
match on the breakpoint opcode. If SW bkpts are enabled, you can only have
one additional hw breakpoint or watchpoint.

Regards,

Dominic