List:       openocd-development
Subject:    [Openocd-development] Hex files and gdb load
From:       Dominic.Rath () gmx ! de (Dominic Rath)
Date:       2006-11-05 23:30:57

On Sunday 05 November 2006 23:57, Magnus Lundin wrote:
> Hi
>
> >> Shall we support GDB load command?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean, but using GDB to load an ELF file is already
> > working. Michael mailed me some hints on how to speed up the loading by
> > using larger buffers, I'll add that to the Wiki when I find some time.
>
> This works for elf files that resides in RAM, since  GDB sends a buffer
> memory write to  openocd. So for Linux and ARM9 targets this is ok, but
> the small guys have their programs in flash, and then the gdb-server
> must translate the memory writes into flash programming commands, and
> also keep track of  erased flash etc.
Ok, this is what the GDB folks are trying to achieve, see the threads "GDB
support for Flash memory programming" (May) and "GDB support for flash:
implementation" (June) at the GDB mailinglist:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/

I've just updated my GDB tree, and support seems to be there already. We could
start adding support for it, to be ready when these features are available in
a released GDB.

We'll need support for XML within the OpenOCD for this purpose:
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_33.html#SEC709
An alternative would be to require the user to supply a valid xml description
which we just transfer to the GDB when it asks for one, but having that
information for ourselves might be nice, too.

Regards,

Dominic