List:       opennms-install
Subject:    [opennms-install] Installing OpenNMS on Debian ARMEL architectures
From:       Ben Whorwood <dev () mube ! co ! uk>
Date:       2010-11-19 13:55:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a SheevaPlug (http://plugcomputer.org /
http://newit.co.uk), which is a ARMEL-based system running Debian
Squeeze with a very small form factor, upon which I would like to run
OpenNMS. I have tried installing the prebuilt Debian packages and also
attempted to build OpenNMS from source but am having a few problems.

I have added the following sources to apt:

deb http://debian.opennms.org stable main
deb-src http://debian.opennms.org stable main

However apt-get update produces the following errors:

W: Failed to fetch http://debian.opennms.org/dists/stable/Release
Unable to find expected entry  main/binary-armel/Packages in Meta-index
file (malformed Release file?)

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

(Similar errors are produced when attempting to use the unstable branch.)

Next I proceeded to try and build OpenNMS from source. After installing
all of the build dependencies I successfully built OpenNMS using
openjdk-6-jdk 6b18-1.8.2-4 (only real addition was to mount a swap
partition on an external hard drive). Other JDK's don't seem to be
available for ARMEL.

However I encountered problems when trying to build JICMP from source
which is where I am currently stuck.

After modifying some of the files I believe that the architecture /
process type isn't properly being detected or handled which causes the
build process to fail (please bear with me as my experience in building
Debian packages is lacking). Essentially I downloaded the source and
then manually stepped through what happens for apt-get -b source jicmp,
modifying files as I went. After a great deal of adjustments I
unfortunately cannot get JICMP to build (I also tried some fixes for
Sparc which seemed to match errors but to no avail).

I appreciate that this type of hardware isn't very common but ARMEL QEMU
images can be found here:

http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/armel/

I have tried going through the same process as briefly described above
using the QEMU images and everything seems to be the same (errors,
success in building OpenNMS, etc). One notable difference is that the
QEMU images use Debian Lenny and the SheevaPlug uses Debian Squeeze but
this didn't seem to effect anything when I tried to install the prebuilt
packages or build from source.

For reference here are some specifics from the SheevaPlug system...

$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.32.7 #5 PREEMPT Wed Feb 10 21:09:39 GMT 2010 armv5tel
GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.32.7 (newit@gemini) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Sourcery G++
Lite 2009q3-68) ) #5 PREEMPT Wed Feb 10 21:09:39 GMT 2010

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Ben