List:       opennms-install
Subject:    [opennms-install] Antw: Re: Performance issues and false	outages?
From:       "Michael Seibold" <Michael.Seibold () Gek ! de>
Date:       2009-08-18 7:48:45

Hi Kjetil,

you should look at your icmp response time graphs in opennsm. You might want to check \
them from time to time to see if there are intermittent higher values.

To my experience those strange outages are often due to some unknown problems in the \
net / systems. You changed only one thing that might have improved opennms \
performance - the max_fsm_pages of postgres.

If you change this back and the outages don't reappear they should be originated by \
intermittent higher response times in the network and are now hidden by the higher \
timeout / retry values.

If they reappear you know for sure that it has been a database / performance problem.

I have configured strafeping in a different way than it was designed to find such \
"strange" errors which are normally hidden by the retries / long timeouts: every lost \
strafeping will generate a "strafepin-outages" as I didn't configure retries. While \
during normal operation in a local network (and even in our WAN which has a quite \
good QoS configuration) there sould n't be any ping losses there are sometimes \
intermittent strafeping "outages" in the WAN. Most of the time they significate that \
the WAN provider has some problems in his backbone (if the strafeping outages come \
from different locations), due to defect lines, routing problems, overload of routers \
etc. . And most of the time the provider himself doesn't see the problems at all! \
Using opennms maps with a geographic view of our locations to see the availability \
(which is affected by the strafeping outages) we can often narrow in which part of \
our country the provider has a problem and tell him to look there...

So strafeping outages in our configuration is a sign that something is going wrong, \
but the users can still work (probably with reduced performance), while icmp outages \
are considered to be "loss of function" for our users.

- Michael

> > > Kjetil Roso <kjetil@roso.no> 18.08.2009 02:18 >>>
Michael, Ronald and Tarus,

Thanks for your replies! They are very much appreciated.
I've read all your replies and have done some more investigations on my
system and network. The network is more or less healthy, and different
network monitors shows normal traffic and load. There are no overload
situations what-so-ever.
The pings and snmpwalks are performed from a different server (on the same
subnet, though) during the "outages".
This OpenNMS server is a dedicated server, with no other applications
running. In my cacti-installation, the SNMP-timeout is 500ms with 3 retries.
In Cacti, the average response times for the same nodes are around 3ms.
I haven't registered any CRC-errors, but there are some ifInDiscards and
ifInErrors, but those interfaces are not applicable for the OpenNMS
performance (different vlan).

What have been done after my initial posting?
I overlooked a parameter in postgresql.conf:
max_fsm_pages has been changed from 204800 to 2048000.

I have grep'ed the logs for ERROR, FATAL and Exception:
In snmp4j-internal.log, I found countless entries of
[DefaultUDPTransportMapping_127.0.0.1/0]
org.snmp4j.transport.DefaultUdpTransportMapping:
java.lang.InterruptedException
I Googled this message, and got some indications that this message means
that an SNMP request has timed out. I increased the values for for "timeout"
and "retry" in snmp-config.xml to a timeout of 2000 and retry set to 3.
I restarted OpenNMS 8 hours ago, and the dataCollectionFailed"-events have
disappeared. The false outages are also gone. Everything seems to work to my
fully satisfaction. I will give it a day or two before I dare to enable the
notifications, but it certainly looks promising.

Everything is now working excellent, but I still get loads of
[DefaultUDPTransportMapping_127.0.0.1/0]
org.snmp4j.transport.DefaultUdpTransportMapping:
java.lang.InterruptedException -entries in snmp4j-internal.log. I find that
somewhat annoying, but I'll investigate that later.

Before landing on OpenNMS, I tried other NMS applications. For all these
applications I experienced no problems regarding polling and false outages.
I also regularly do network monitoring/traffic analysis. This is why I
eliminated network issues as the cause to the polling problems.
Anyway, it looks like my issues regarding OpenNMS performance and outages
are solved. In a few days I will add 100 mode devices and 1000+ interfaces
into the application. Hopefully the performance will prevail.

Thanks again!!

Kjetil