List:       opennms-install
Subject:    Re: [opennms-install] Antw:  Performance issues and false outages?
From:       "Roskens, Ronald" <roskens () BIWORLDWIDE ! com>
Date:       2009-08-17 14:40:57

Something else to check on could be the JVM settings.

I was having a similar problem with our OpenNMS server and
datacollection failures, and this is what I have done: (not using
storebygroup)

1 - opennms.conf:

JAVA_HEAP_SIZE072
VERBOSE_GC=1
ADDITIONAL_MANAGER_OPTIONS="-d64 -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
-XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution"
ADDITIONAL_MANAGER_OPTIONS="${ADDITIONAL_MANAGER_OPTIONS}
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads
-XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio
-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold1"

Output.log gets a little big because of the GC logging options. I've
been pretty happy with the new settings (CMS GC) since the JVM seems to
spend a whole lot less time doing full GC's than without it. It got so
bad at one point prior to this change, it was doing full GC's every 30
seconds. CMS seems to use CPU more often for doing GC sweeps, but it
doesn't seem to have the "pauses" that the other GC did.

We also had upgraded the hardware for this system from a Sun 480 (2 cpu
1200mhz) to a Sun 490 (4 cpu 1500mhz), and that was probably the bigger
point for reducing the "datacollection failed" warnings. Not sure how
the system would be reacting if we went back to using the default GC for
64bit JVM.

I still am seeing a large number of INFO "Postponing poll for X ...
org.opennms.netmgt.poller.pollables.LockUnavailable" in the
poller.log's, but am unsure if the point to a problem.