List:       opennms-install
Subject:    Re: [opennms-install] Install on Debian Etch
From:       Daniel Stein <dsteins7 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-09-11 14:45:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I guess I'm not sure what they have stored there. I recently navigated the steps \
necessary to load v. 1.3.6 on Debian etch. Because I am only a contractor here and \
the employee who will take over my work has little to no knowledge of linux, I \
documented the process to make it as simple as possible.
  I don't know specificly how to fix the problem you are having but if you don't mind \
starting over, you should be able to have opennms up and running within just a few \
hours using this documentation.  I welcome any comments, criticisms, suggestions you \
may have should you decide to go this route. Since I've had some troubles with \
attachments, I've also pasted it below. Also I documented this in msword outline mode \
so the formatting leaves a lot to be desired but the content should get you through \
to your final goal.
  Best Regards,

  Daniel Stein

  Install Debian  Note: These instructions assume a basic familiarity with linux/unix \
and the vi editor. If you have not worked with linux or vi, the following sources \
should be sufficient to get you started.  vi is an antiquated linux/unix editing tool \
which you will use to modify certain text files. You can learn more about vi by going \
to https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Support/KnowledgeBase/Docs/20020202121609 or \
http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html  linux \
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugbasics.html \
http://www.debian.org/  These are just some of the sites I have found to be helpful. \
There are a lot more good sources available on the web which I will leave to the \
reader to search out.

  This assumes a fresh install on a new server.  before starting you should have \
completed the following.  -         Reserve an IP address for the server in IPPlan  - \
Reserved address should be cleared with security to be a “slider” ip  in order to \
bypass the proxy server.  -         Determine a node name and have it already added \
to DNS  -         Have the following information handy  -         Node IP Address \
__________________________  -         Network Mask ___________________________  -     \
Gateway IP ______________________________  -         DNS \
____________________________________  -         Host Name \
_______________________________  -         Domain Name  __________________________  \
Start base system install entering the required information.  When asked “Use a \
Network Mirror?”, select “Yes”. Then select an appropriate mirror site. Any one in \
the US should be ok or you can just go with the default.  When asked to choose \
software to install;  -          use the space bar to select/unselect  -         \
select “standard system” only. No other items should be selected  -         hit \
return and go find something to do for a while the system loads.  When you return, \
the system should have finished loading, ejected the startup CD, and rebooted to the \
new operating system. If everything has gone well, then you are now ready to begin \
the installation process for OpenNMS.  Load support applications  Aptitude  From This \
point on, all the necessary software packages should be loadable using “aptitude”.  \
“aptitude” is a front end to APT (Advanced Packaging Tool) which is a tool for \
managing software packages on linux systems. It automates the retrieval, \
configuration and installation of software packages either from binary files or by \
compiling source code.  To use aptitude, simply enter “aptitude” at the command \
prompt. This will load the ascii based user interface. Here is a quick summary of the \
most used commands.  /  -brings up a  window for entering the search term you are \
interested in. Enter the desired search term and press enter.   n  -takes you to the \
next known package matching your search term.  +  -selects the highlighted package \
for install.   -   -selects the highlighted package for install.   u  -updates the \
Available Package list from the sources.  q  -quit aptitude.  Edit Source File  \
Before attempting to load any packages, you will need to edit the source file \
(/etc/apt/sources.list) used by aptitude to find packages  From the root user prompt, \
enter vi /etc/apt/sources.list  edit the file to read as follows:  #
  # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1 \
20070407-11:25]/ etch contrib main
  deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1 \
20070407-11:25]/ etch contrib main
  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main

  deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

  deb http://debian.opennms.org/ unstable main
  Load support applications  Start aptitude and enter update. This will update the \
package list based upon the changes made in the source.list file.  find and select \
                the following packages for loading.
- lynx
- sudo
- ssh  Once ssh is installed you should be able to log in and complete the remainder \
of the install remotely.    NOTE:  You may be asked to insert the install cd to load \
some applications. Be sure you REMOVE it when you are finished loading those \
applications so that the system does not boot off of the install cd next time you \
reboot it.  Load Java  OpenNMS is written mainly in Java and the JDK from Sun, \
version 1.5 or higher, is recommended. If you are running OpenNMS on a 64-bit system, \
be sure to install the 64-bit JDK.  Using aptitude, install sun-java5-jdk  Following \
successful install of Java, you will need to edit the file /etc/profile and add the \
following two lines

JAVA_HOME=”/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun”
export JAVA_HOME  Note that if you installed a version of Java other than 1.5, you \
will probably need to modify the JAVA_HOME path to match the link in the /usr/lib/jvm \
directory.  load Tomcat5  Tomcat is part of the Jakarta project in Apache. It is the \
Java servlet engine or web server used to serve up the HTML for the OpenNMS browser \
interface.  OpenNMS requires version 5.5 or greater.  using aptitude, select and \
                install:
 - tomcat5.5
 - tomcat5.5-admin
 - tomcat5.5-webapps  Following the tomcat install you will need to ensure that the \
correct java alternative is being used  at the command prompt, enter:

update-alternatives --config java  select:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jrc/bin/java  at the command prompt, enter:

update-alternatives --config javac  select:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/bin/javac  One more step is required to ensure that \
Tomcat has sufficient memory within which to operate.  Locate the file catalina.sh \
and add the following line: CATALINA_OPTS=”-Xmx1024m”  This will allow Tomcat to \
access up to 1GB of memory assuming that there is sufficient available memory to \
begin with. This number may be adjusted/tuned to the operational limitations of the \
server being employed.  Load PostgreSQL   OpenNMS uses PostgreSQL as the relational \
database for storing information about network devices, events, notifications and \
outages. Version 7.4 or later is required though the recommended is 8.1 and 8.2 has \
                recently become available.  Return to aptitude and install the \
                following packages:
- postgresql-8.1
- postgresql-doc-8.1
- postgresql-server-dev-8.1
- libpq-dev  After PostgreSQL has been installed, there are two configuration files \
that must be modified, postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf. These files are created the \
first time PostgreSQL is run. PostgreSQL should have started but if it didn’t, you \
will need to start it before continuing.  check to see if PostgreSQL has started by \
                entering:
/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 status  If PostgreSQL has not started, this can be \
                remedied by entering:
/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 start  Locate the configuration file postresql.conf. This \
file controls basic operating parameters for PostgreSQL and two of which we will be \
modifying.  Find the line that reads “max_connections” and change it to read:  \
max_connections = 256  Find the line that reads “shared_buffers and change it to \
read: shared_buffers = 1024  Locate the configuration file pg_hba.conf. This file \
controls which machines and users can access te database on a given machine via \
TCP/IP. Since this is how OpenNMS accesses the database (via localhost) it is \
necessary to modify this file to allow OpenNMS to work.  Search the file for the line \
that reads: # TYPE DATABASE USER IP-ADDRESS IP-MASK METHOD.  Change the line that \
follow to read as below: local  all  all  trust
host  all  all  127.0.0.1   255.255.255.255  trust
host  all  all  ::1  ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff  trust  Note: If your \
system does not support IPv6 or you are not running it anywhere on your network, then \
comment out, or do not add, the last line above.  Make sure that no other lines are \
uncommented in this file.  You will need to stop and restart PostgreSQL after making \
these changes.  /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 stop  /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 start  \
Install iplike and jicmp  OpenNMS makes heavy use of two functions written in C which \
it accesses using the Java Native Interface (JNI). Since the 1.3.6 version of the \
main OpenNMS application is pure Java, jicmp and iplike have been removed from the \
main OpenNMS code and must be loaded separately.  using aptitude, select and install \
iplike and jicmp  Nothing more special to do here so move on.  Install OpenNMS  Now \
that you’ve enjoyed the bread and salad, it is finally time for the main dish. So \
back to aptitude again to select and install the following  packages.
- opennms
- opennms-doc
- opennms-contrib  Once that is done you are still not ready to run OpenNMS just yet. \
There are still a few things left to do.  Ensure that the proper permissions are set  \
If the permissions are not set correctly tomcat will not have the permissions it \
needs to run correctly will generate various errors as you try to make administrative \
changes to the tool. To prevent this source of error, run the following set of \
                commands:
-  chmod +x /usr/share/opennms/bin/ *
-  chmod +x /usr/share/opennms/contrib/ *
-  chmod -x /usr/share/opennms/contrib/ *.README
-  chmod -x /usr/share/opennms/contrib/ opennms.mib  Configure Java for OpenNMS  \
First OpenNMS needs to be configured to use the appropriate Java Runtime Environment \
                (JRE). This is done by executing the following command.
- $OPENNMS_HOME/bin/runjava –s  Note: “$OPENNMS_HOME” is the base directory for \
OpenNMS. This is likely to be /usr/share/opennms.  Run the Installer to setup the \
PostgreSQL database and jicmp.  Running install with the –l parameter will look for \
the jicmp libraries in the location specified by the path that follows.  The –dis \
                parameter will initialize and check the database.
- $OPENNMS_HOME/bin/install –l /usr/lib/jni –dis  Run the installer to setup the web \
application  This will set up the web application and ensure that the appropriate \
                pointers are set to jicmp.
-  $OPENNMS_HOME/bin/install –l /usr/lib/jni –y –w \
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost  Note: $CATALINA_HOME is the base directory \
for the Tomcat installation. This is likely to be /var/lib/tomcat5.5/  Configuring \
OpenNMS  At this point you will want to refer to the voluminous documentation \
available on the OpenNMS website as well as the many tips, trick and resolutions \
available on the Opennms-discuss mailing list, to configure, troubleshoot and improve \
the operation of your OpenNMS installation.  Making things easier  Tomcat, PostgreSQL \
                and OpenNMS can be stopped, started and statused by entering:
- /etc/init.d/{opennms | postgresql-8.1 | tomcat5.5} {stop | start | status}  To make \
this easier, enter the following line in /etc/profile: alias \
onms='/etc/init.d/opennms' alias tomcat='/etc/init.d/tomcat5.5'
alias postgres='/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1'  This will allow you to enter the short \
alias name instead of the whole path to start stop or status the applications.   Sean \
Whitney <sean.whitney@gmail.com> wrote:  What I got from

cd /tmp
mkdir opennms
svn co https://opennms.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/opennms/opennms/trunk opennms

On Sunday, Sept 9, 2007

Sean

Daniel Stein wrote:
> What version of OpenNMS are you trying to run?
>
> */Sean Whitney /* wrote:
>
> I followed the installation instructions here
>
> http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Debian_4_tomcat5.5_jdk_1.5_install_log
>

> And I have gotten as far as the last step. Starting the daemon.
>
> At this point you should be able to start the opennms 'daemon' itself.
> /opt/OpenNMS/bin/opennms -v start
>
> When I do this I get
>
> ./bin/opennms -v start
> Starting OpenNMS: Error invoking status command:
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
> Unknown value return from doStatus: 1
> failed
>

> The manager log contains
>

> more manager.log
> 2007-09-10 21:37:45,983 DEBUG [Main] ServiceConfigFactory:
> ServiceConfigFactory.
> init: config file path
> /usr/local/opennms/etc/service-configuration.xml
> 2007-09-10 21:37:48,190 ERROR [Main] Controller: Error invoking status
> command:
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
> at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
> at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
> at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:256)
> at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:313)
> at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:626)
> at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:571)
> at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:705)
> at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:571)
> at
> sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLCon
> nection.java:961)
> at
> org.opennms.netmgt.vmmgr.StatusGetter.queryStatus(StatusGetter.java:1
> 49)
> at org.opennms.netmgt.vmmgr.Controller.status(Controller.java:220)
> at org.opennms.netmgt.vmmgr.Controller.main(Controller.java:172)
> at
> java:39)
> at
> sorImpl.java:25)
> at org.opennms.bootstrap.Bootstrap$3.run(Bootstrap.java:367)
>
> Postgresql is up and running, tomcat starts, apache2 starts.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Sean

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.