List:       opennms-install
Subject:    Re: [opennms-install] rhel4 and tomcat5
From:       Buzzmc <buzzmc1 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-03-20 19:05:01

netstat:

tcp        0      0 :::
8080                     :::*                        LISTEN
tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:33654      ::ffff:
127.0.0.1:8080       TIME_WAIT

Hmm, iptables and SElinux entries in /var/log/messages... Nothing
that directly pertains to not being able to connect, however,
considering the nature of these processes it's likely my problem.

I was "given" the system on a VMWare box, and didn't actually do the
OS installation.  Uggh.  Now I need to either get rid of that, or
figure out how to configure it.

service iptables stop .... Nice.  Now things work fantastically.
Thanks for the large amount of help Chris...I need to learn a lot
more about linux.

Web page comes up great now... Now maybe I can get on with checkout
out some of the newer features in 1.3.2.

-b

On Mar 20, 2007, at 11:51 AM, Chris Beck wrote:

> Tomcat doesn't really "install" anything. You just start and stop it
> from where ever it happens to be untar'd. The environment variables
> are
> what makes the magic happen. If you run 'netstat -an | grep 8080', do
> you get a line like the one below?
>
> tcp        0      0 :::8080                     :::*
> LISTEN
>
> Just to knock out the obvious, you do have a DNS or host entry for the
> server right? Can you get to it by IP? Do you have iptables or a
> firewall configured on that server? How about SELinux? Those are 2
> items
> that when unconfigured, can block incoming requests. Check
> /var/log/messages for any messages about stuff being denied. Tomcat
> doesn't listen on port 80, so http://pa-opennms02/ will not work
> out of
> the box either.
>
> -Chris