List:       opennms-install
Subject:    Re: [opennms-install] no mail from notifications
From:       Alan <alan () ufies ! org>
Date:       2006-12-11 19:28:56

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 02:13:38PM -0500, Tarus Balog wrote:
> Alan wrote:
[snip]
> Hrm. Javamail issues are usually due to strict rules on the incoming
> server. With JMTA set to true (the default), then mail will come from
> the OpenNMS server, so it should reverse resolve and the destination
> mail server should be able to verify that it exists, etc., or else the
> mail tends to get dropped as spam.

Noted.  Though I think that part of my problems are actually being
caused by ON detecting mail.companyname.com as the outbound relay
somewhere and that didn't resolve properly (though I just fixed this,
see other email).

> Setting JMTA=false would cause OpenNMS to connect to port 25 on
> mx3.companyname.com and attempt to relay through it. This is usually a
> better policy, as the admin of mx3.companyname.com is usually pretty
> good about making sure mail from that box to the outside world (pagers,
> etc) is treated as legit, whereas it is not so easy with the OpenNMS box.

I've changed this, but no go.  With the debug running I'm now getting
this in my output.log:

DEBUG: setDebug: JavaMail version 1.3.2ea
DEBUG: getProvider() returning \
javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, \
Inc] DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth false
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "mx3.psdhost.net", port 25, isSSL false
220 mx3.psdhost.net ESMTP PSD Mail Daemon. We block/report all spam.^M
DEBUG SMTP: connected to host "mx3.psdhost.net", port: 25

EHLO opennms-test^M
250-mx3.psdhost.net^M
250-PIPELINING^M
250-SIZE 104857600^M
250-VRFY^M
250-ETRN^M
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN^M
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN^M
250 8BITMIME^M
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "PIPELINING", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "SIZE", arg "104857600"
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "VRFY", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "ETRN", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "AUTH", arg "LOGIN PLAIN"
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "AUTH=LOGIN", arg "PLAIN"
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "8BITMIME", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: use8bit false
MAIL FROM:<opennms-test@companyname.ca>^M
250 Ok^M
RCPT TO:<...

[snip standard smtp convo]

354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>^M
Response: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>

QUIT^M
Exception in thread "Thread-23" java.lang.NullPointerException
   at java.lang.String.concat(String.java:1827)
   at com.sun.activation.registries.MailcapFile.parseLine(MailcapFile.java:235)
   at com.sun.activation.registries.MailcapFile.parse(MailcapFile.java:197)
   at com.sun.activation.registries.MailcapFile.createMailcapHash(MailcapFile.java:157)
  at com.sun.activation.registries.MailcapFile.<init>(MailcapFile.java:40)
   at javax.activation.MailcapCommandMap.loadFile(MailcapCommandMap.java:276)
   at javax.activation.MailcapCommandMap.<init>(MailcapCommandMap.java:128)
   at javax.activation.CommandMap.getDefaultCommandMap(CommandMap.java:44)
   at javax.activation.DataHandler.getCommandMap(DataHandler.java:136)
   at javax.activation.DataHandler.getDataContentHandler(DataHandler.java:568)
   at javax.activation.DataHandler.getContent(DataHandler.java:501)
   at javax.mail.internet.MimeBodyPart.updateHeaders(MimeBodyPart.java:1109)
   at javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage.updateHeaders(MimeMessage.java:1927)
   at javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage.saveChanges(MimeMessage.java:1908)
   at javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage.writeTo(MimeMessage.java:1608)
   at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:493)
   at org.opennms.core.utils.JavaMailer.mailSend(JavaMailer.java:291)
   at org.opennms.netmgt.notifd.JavaMailNotificationStrategy.send(JavaMailNotificationStrategy.java:47)
  at org.opennms.core.utils.ClassExecutor.execute(ClassExecutor.java:72)
   at org.opennms.netmgt.notifd.NotificationTask.run(NotificationTask.java:243)

> Where were you looking at postfix logs (on which server)?

I was checking the logs on both the destination server and the ON server
(in case it was just being sent to port 25 on localhost).

--
Alan <alan@ufies.org> - http://arcterex.net
"Backups are for people who don't pray."                 -- big Mike